Responsibility for study centre government and steering is held by each centre’s umbrella civic organization, the administration of which typically also serves as the governing body of the study centre.
Study centres are legislatively governed mainly by the Liberal Adult Education Act. Based on this and the principle of lifelong learning, the purpose of liberal adult education is:
- to support the comprehensive development of the individual, and their
- ability to function in communities, and
- to promote democracy, equality and pluralism in Finnish society.
This website presents
- the mission, vision and purpose of study centres
- a brief introduction to each study centre
and describes, with examples:
- study centre courses and study circles
- educator activities
- content of development projects
Scope of Activity
- Training and Education
- Study Circles
- International activities